In this section, find out all about...
- The Accord for the Protection of Children in Scottish Sport
- Our Steering Group made up of a number of organisations representing both sport and the welfare and protection
- How you can contact us.
The aim of Safeguarding in Sport is to help ensure that children stay safe and have fun whilst taking part in sport. We provide advice, consultancy and training on the development and implementation of child protection policies and procedures.
Established in 2002 and formerly known as Child Protection in Sport the service is there for any sports organisation that works with children including: governing bodies of sport; local authority sports/leisure departments; leisure trusts and sports clubs.
Sport can and does have a very powerful and positive influence on children. Not only can it provide opportunities for enjoyment and achievement, it can also develop self-esteem, confidence, leadership and teamwork. These positive effects can only take place if sport is led by adults who place the welfare of children first and adopt practices that support, protect and empower them.
It is also vital that any adult who works with children in sport know how to respond to a child who may turn to them for help. Our training and resources are developed to build people’s knowledge and confidence in this area.
So, what can Safeguarding in Sport do for you? We can provide:
- Advice on a wide range of issues from how to access training and resources to case specific advice and support regarding any child protection or child welfare issue
- Consultancy to help organisations develop safeguards to keep children safe including recruitment and selection and codes of conduct
- Training to provide basic awareness about child protection to more detailed training for Club Child Protection Officers and officials
- Support Sports Governing Bodies and Local Authorities to adopt Minimum Operating Requirements for child protection
- Influence policy makers and Government bodies that deal with child protection and child welfare.
Safeguarding in Sport is a partnership between CHILDREN 1ST who, for more than 120 years, has been working to give every child a safe and secure childhood and sportscotland, the national agency for sport.