At CHILDREN 1ST, our vision is a happy, healthy, safe and secure childhood for every child and young person in Scotland.
We work with children, young people, their families, communities and other organisations to improve the lives of vulnerable children and young people in Scotland.
In 1884, the first society to prevent cruelty to children in Scotland was set up in Glasgow. In 1889, it then joined with the Edinburgh branch to form the Royal Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (RSSPCC). Find out more about our history.
We provide a range of services, all of which promote the safety and wellbeing of children and young people.
- Download current and past versions of our Annual Report and Accounts and Annual Review.
- Read about the difference your support makes in Our Impact report for 2012-13.
How we work
- As a registered Scottish charity, we are governed by a Board of Management and our members. Our day-to-day work is overseen by the Organisational Management Team.
- We are very proud of the role volunteers play in our work. Without them, CHILDREN 1ST simply couldn't reach the number of children and families that we do.
- In consultation with staff and volunteers, we developed a set of organisational values which underpin everything we do.
- Our funding comes from a range of sources, including the Scottish Government and local authorities, as well as our own fundraising efforts. 50% of our funding is raised by us - or actually, by you through donations and other fundraising activities.
- Our staff are hugely important, made up of highly skilled and dedicated people fulfillling a wide range of roles. Look at our jobs pages to find out more about working with us.
- We also have thousands of historic records archived with The National Records of Scotland and Glasgow Caledonian University. These records help us to tell our story and the life stories of the children and families we have helped over the decades.