Kinship Care support groups
Kinship care support groups are usually small groups of carers, and can also include kinship care social workers, who meet on a weekly or monthly basis. Support groups offer kinship carers the opportunity to meet, discuss and learn from others in a similar situation, the chance to offer each other emotional and practical support and help alleviate some of the isolation felt by many carers.
Some groups are relatively informal and are just a place for kinship carers to get together and chat over a cup of tea. Others are more structured and play a more active campaigning role.
From the work we do with kinship carers and kinship care groups we understand the value of the support they offer each other and we actively work to encourage and facilitate both local authorities and individual kinship carers seeking to establish a local group.
In the video below, kinship carers describe the benefits of kinship care groups and give advice on how to organise a group:
The Grandparents Parenting Again and Kinship Carers Midlothian group took part in a creative writing class which led to them producing a booklet of stories and poems about being a kinship carer.
Kinship care support groups in your area
Please be aware that details are subject to change so always check with our National Kinship Care Helpline on 08000 28 22 33 for contact details of these support groups.
If you prefer we can contact the group on your behalf. Some groups will arrange for you to meet up with another carer to go along with to your first meeting.
If you are aware of other groups or updated information please let us know via the helpline or email: email@example.com
- Bridging the Gap – meets 1st and 2nd Saturday each month – 2-4pm at Befriend a Child, 9 Bon Accord Square, Aberdeen AB11 6DJ (children have activities while adults meet up)
- Kinship for Kids (K4K) – meets on 1st and 3rd Friday of each month, 10am-12noon during term time, less regularly during school holidays. Run by kinship carers from the local area. Osborne house, 22 Duthie Place, Fraserburgh AB43 8WX
- Heart of Kinship – every Tuesday 10am–12noon. Morrisons Supermarket, 1A Hay Crescent, Peterhead AB42 1HH
- Portlethen – family support worker arranges informal get-togethers in Palm Room, Portlethen Family Centre, Bruntland Road for people in Portlethen, Stonehaven, Laurencekirk, Banchory
- Aberdeenshire Council Social Work Dept hold occasional events for kinship carers which they advertise on the Aberdeenshire Council website
- Angus Carers Support Group for people affected by Drugs and Alcohol – kinship carers can access this group for specific support and as a first point of contact. Angus Carers Centre, 3 Fishacre, Arbroath, DD11 1LE
Argyll and Bute
- Dochas Carers Centre – mixed group for all carers
- Helensburgh and Lomond Carers – mixed group for all carers
- Islay Kinship Care Support Group (Dochas) - Meets last Thursday of month 12.30 – 2.30 for lunch and a catch up at Gaelic College (Ionad Chaluim Chille ile), Bowmore, Islay PA43 7LN. They also offer Skype counselling.
- Clacks Kinship Carers Group – meets every second Thursday morning at The Hubs, Whins Road, Alloa, FK10 3TA
Dumfries and Galloway
- Kindred Spirits – meet first Monday of the month, 10am-12 noon, at Social Work Dept, 122-124 Irish Street, Dumfries, DG1 2PB
- Dumfries group run by social work for people approved as kinship carers through the council and information is accessed through them.
- Kith ‘n Kin – meets every Thursday, run by Alcohol Tayside
- Kinship Care Support Group – meets every Thursday 9–11.30am at Arthurstone Library, 5 Arthurstone Terrace, Dundee, DD4 6RT
- Kinship Carers Group – run by Home-start – meets Monday 1–2.30 pm and Tuesday 10–11.30 am at 3rd Floor, 30 Whitehill Street, Dundee, DD1 4AF
- Kilmarnock Kinship Care Support group – meets 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month, 1–2 pm, at YMCA, Soulis Street, Kilmarnock, KA3 1AP
- No groups that we are aware of
- Square One Kinship Care –meets fortnightly on a Friday 9.30–11.30 am during school term times at MECA, Haddington Road, Musselburgh and meets last Friday of the month 6.30–8pm in Port Seton. In school holidays they go on outings.
- Kinship Care Coffee morning – last Wednesday of each month 10am–12noon at Community Centre, 8 Law Road, North Berwick, EH39 4PN – run by Children 1st
- East Renfrewshire Kinship Carers Support Group – for carers of looked-after children – Eastwood Park, informal arrangements.
- Kinsfolk Carers – drop-in session every Thursday from 10am–12noon at Leith Community Centre, Kirkgate.
- Vocal – run a number of generic support groups for carers (mixed group)
- Kinship Choir – meet on Tuesdays during term timefrom 10am–12noon at St Andrews and St Georges Church, George Street – next to George Hotel. All welcome, no audition, no experience needed and it's free! email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Big Hearts Kinship Care After School Club – meets weekly on Tuesdays, 4.30–6.30pm in Gorgie Suite, Tynecastle Stadium. For the whole family – activities for children, chance for carers to meet up and share, meal provided.
- Kinship Coffee Afternoon (Oxgangs) - Run by Mentor. They meet on Wednesdays 1 - 2.30pm (except school holidays) at Oxgangs Neighbourhood Centre, 71 Firhill Drive, EH13 9EU
- Edinburgh With Kids Meets every Wednesday during term-time 9.30 – 11am, 1 Hailesland Road, Edinburgh EH14 2QS
- No groups that we are aware of
- Kinship Care Group run by social work meets monthly in Carers Scotland, 1A Bank Street, Falkirk, FK1 1NB. Breaks for school holidays. Contact Seonad Lawson 01324 506400, email@example.com
- Kinship Care Group – meets every Tuesday 9.30-11am in Glenrothes – run by Barnardos
- Kinship Care Group - meets every Tuesday 9.30–11.15am at Old Parish Centre, Short Lane, Cupar, KY15 5EQ Contact: Jill Brown 07979352314, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fairisle Kinship Group – meets Fair Isle Road, Templehall, Kirkcaldy, KY2 6ED
- Lang Toon Kinship Carers – meets Tuesday 9.30–11.30am Dysart Centre, 43 High Street, Dysart, Kirkcaldy, KY1 2UQ
- Dunfermline Kinship Care Group Thursdays 09.30 – 11.00am Touch Primary School (Janitors House), Gannock Bank Dunfermline KY11 4JZ
- Kinship Support Group - meets every Friday 1.30 – 3pm Ladybird Nursery, Erskine Place, Glenrothes KY7 4JB
- Kinship Support Group - meets every Thursday 10 – 11.30am Kings Road Primary School, Kings Crescent, Rosyth KY11 2RS
- Kinship Support Group - meets every Tuesday 11am – 12.30pm Methil Library, Wellesley road, Methil KY8 3PA
- Kinship Support Group (Leven) - Wednesday 9.15-11.15am, Community Lounge, Methilhill Primary School, Sea Road, Leven, KY8 2JW
Various groups run throughout the city run by FASS and Geeza Break including:
- FASS 123 West St Glasgow G5 8BA. Glasgow has 7 kinship groups who are all affiliated to FASS. To obtain up to date meetings, locations & times, please contact FASS on : 0141 420 2050 or email: email@example.com - provides supports to kinship carers and families affected by a loved one’s alcohol/drug problem
- South East Kinship – meets every fortnight Monday 12–2pm at Castlemilk Community Centre, 121 Castlemilk Drive, Glasgow G45 9UG
- Kinship for the Future (North) Group – meet weekly at Possilpark Church
- Kinship for the Future Tuesday Group – meet Tuesday lunchtime at FASS, West Street Centre, 123 West Street, Glasgow G5 8BA
- New Fossils Grandparents Group – meets every second Thursday at St Michael’s Chapel Hall. They also go on trips
- South West Kinship Group – meets every 2nd Friday in Pollock
- East End Kinship Care Group Meets every second Wednesday at With Kids, 15 Annfield Place, Glasgow, G31 2XE
- Kinship Support Group - Meets fortnightly on Mondays 11am - 12 noon followed by drop in 1.30 - 3.30pm at St Duthus House, St Duthus Street, Tain, IV19 1AL
- Parenting Again – meetings usually, but not always, on 2nd Friday of the month at Inverclyde Carers Centre, 68-70 Cathcart Street, Greenock, PA15 1DD. Some months they go on outings instead of having a meeting
- Inverclyde Kinship Care Group – group meets monthly, alternating between morning and evening meetings.
- Grandparents Parenting Again & Kinship Carers (Midlothian) - they meet every Thursday during term time 9.30-11.30am at Gorebridge Parish Church; every second Monday from 10am-12 noon at Ladywood Leisure Centre, Penicuik (please contact for details). They also meet one Monday of the month in the evening at 7.30pm at Gorebridge Parish Church (please contact for details). A robust activity programme for carers and children is organised during school holidays. Contact: Myra Orr, Peer Support Worker 07540 300591, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, website: www.kinshipcarersmidlothian.co.uk
- Midlothian Surestart Grandparent Support Service – meets Wednesday 9.30-11.30am at Stone Avenue, Mayfield, Dalkeith. Contact: Kate Downey, Centre Manager 0131 660 6644
- Midlothian Surestart Grandparents Support Service – meets Tuesday 9.30–11.30am at 60 Queensway, Penicuik. Contact: Gavin Burns, Centre Manager 01968 979215
- Grandparents/Toddler Group (Surestart Grandparents Support Service) – meets Monday 10–11.30am at Woodburn Primary School, Room 2 CLD, Cousland Road, Dalkeith. www.midlothiansurestart.org.uk
- Dalkeith Midlothian Kinship Carers DMKC/SCIO – meets every Thursday during term-time 10am–12noon (except last Thursday of month 12noon – 2pm) at St David’s Church Hall, 41 Eskbank Road, Dalkeith
- Kinship Peer Support Group – meets monthly on Tuesdays 10am-12noon at Moray Resource Centre, Elgin supported by Children 1st, run by carers including speakers and training sessions.
- Kinship Coffee morning – meets four-weekly on Fridays 10am-12noon at Auchernack, High Street, Forres
- Castlepark Kinship Care Group – meets monthly at Castlepark Early Years Centre, Carron Place, Irvine, KA12 9LQ
- S.H.O.U.T. Kinship Support North Ayrshire – meets last Tuesday of the month 10am–12noon and prize bingo every three weeks. Facebook page.
- Nurture Scotland – support and advice service
- Kinship NL – meets fortnightly on Tuesdays at St Andrews Sports Complex, 9 Monkland Road, Coatbridge, ML5 5EA
- Foster Care Support Group – looked after kinship carers can attend
Perth and Kinross
- Perth and Kinross Council arrange meetings every couple of months
- Kith ‘n Kin – Tayside Council on Alcohol – point of contact
- Grandparents Support Group – meets monthly in mornings and one-to-one support available – Renfrewshire Carers www.refrewshirecarers.org.uk
- KSC Group in Galashiels - meets last Tuesday of every month, 10.30am -12.30 pm at MacArts Centre, Bridge Street, Galashiels, TD1
Contact: Jenny Robb, Social Worker – Family Placement and Kinship team, 01896 664157
- No groups at present
- South Ayrshire Kinship Care Group – meets monthly on Fridays 10am–12noon at Family Resource Centre, Groupwork room, Wills Road, Ayr, KA8 9NL– run by Children 1st
- South Lanarkshire Kinship Care Group – meets monthly on Fridays at Hamilton Community Outreach, Hamilton Accies FC Stadium, New Douglas Park, Cadzow Avenue, Hamilton
- Nurture Scotland – support and advice service
- Stirling Kinship Care Support Group - meets on Wednesdays 3.30pm - 6pm at Stirling Family Support Service, 36 St John Street, Stirling, FK8 1EA. Children are welcome too - they have supervised play downstairs whilst cares meet upstairs.
- Kinship Care Support Group – run by kinship carers for kinship carers, meets monthly at Ben View resource Centre, Dumbarton. Facebook: kinshipcarewestdunbartonshire
- West Dunbartonshire Carers – mixed group that works with kinship carers – drop-in
- West Lothian Kinship Care Group – accessed through referral by social work – meets monthly
- We Kin Care Kinship Care Group –meets usually on Wednesday afternoons at Blackburn Community Centre, Ash Grove, Blackburn EH47 7LJ