At Children 1st we know that often the best way to help children is by supporting families.
We want to see more emphasis given to providing help for families at an early stage when they need it, rather than waiting until things have reached crisis point. We want to support children to live with their families wherever possible, and want better support for young carers and those living in kinship care arrangements.
We helped to influence the Children and Young People (Scotland) Act, which created new measures aimed at supporting children, young people and families, and identifying any problems they might face at an early stage. We also called for more and better support for kinship care families, and consulted with both children and adults in kinship care arrangements through the National Kinship Care service before sending on their views to the Scottish Government.
Consultations and submissions:
- Children 1st Parliamentary Briefing - Championing the Right to Holistic Family Support
- Response to the Health, Social Care and Sport Committee Inquiry into the Health and Wellbeing of Children and Young People (January 2021)
- Children 1st Parliamentary Briefing ahead of December 2021 Scottish Budget
- Response to Scottish Parliament Education and Skills Committee on counsellors in school education (September 2020)
- Response to Scottish Government consultation on tackling social isolation and loneliness (April 2018)
- Finance Committee Call for Evidence on Prevention (November 2015)
- Briefing for Stage 1 debate on the Carers (Scotland) Bill (November 2015)
- Children 1st, Aberlour and Barnardo's response to Order for services in relation to children at risk of becoming looked after (October 2015)
- Children 1st and Barnardo's response to Teenage Pregnancy Strategy (September 2015)
- Response to Scottish Parliament Welfare Reform Committee (September 2015)
- Carers (Scotland) Bill - call for views
- Commission for Childcare Reform - call for written evidence
- Fathers and Parenting - call for views
- Parenting Resources Report for Scottish Government
- Health and Sport Committee's Inquiry into Teenage Pregnancy - call for evidence