Keeping children safe
Children 1st believes it is everybody’s responsibility to protect children and keep them safe.
We have contributed a range of consultation responses on issues related to child protection, including emerging risks from online technology. We have commented on policy proposals for a range of authorities and statutory bodies, including the Scottish Government, Police Scotland and the Crown Office for the Procurator Fiscal Service (COPFS).
This is an opportunity for us to share evidence from the work we do and call for change to ensure the necessary legislation, safeguards and standards are in place to protect children and young people from harm.
We were actively involved in the Bill processes for the Children and Young People (Scotland) Act 2014 and the Victims and Witnesses (Scotland) Act 2014, during which we frequently called for legislation to be child-centred, ensuring that keeping children safe is a priority for any new law, guidance or practice.
Our recent consultation responses and other resources are included below.
Consultation responses and briefings
- Response to the call for evidence on the impact of the coronavirus pandemic on vulnerable children
- Coronavirus (Scotland) Bill
- Domestic Abuse Bill Stage 3 briefing
- Domestic Abuse Bill Stage 1 debate briefing
- Domestic Abuse Bill: Stage 1 response to the Justice Committee
- Response to Equally Safe delivery plan (July 2017)
- Children 1st, Barnardo's Scotland and NSPCC Scotland briefing for debate on Stage 1 of the Abusive Behaviour and Sexual Harm Bill
- Consultation on working together for people who go missing in Scotland (December 2015)
- Response to Stage 1 of the Abusive Behaviour and Sexual Harm (Scotland) Bill (November 2015)
- Children 1st, Barnardo's Scotland and Children in Scotland response to proposals for an Offence of Wilful Neglect or Ill-treatment (October 2015)
- Response to Equally Safe - Reforming the criminal law to address domestic abuse and sexual offences
- Response to Scottish Parliament Public Petition PE1548 - National Guidance on Restraint and Seclusion in Schools
- Consultation on Proposals for an Offence of Wilful Neglect or Ill-treatment in Health and Social Care Settings
- Briefing to the Education and Culture Committee on Cyberbullying
- Consultation - EU Guidance on Integrated Child Protection Systems