Standards for Child Wellbeing and Protection in Sport
The Standards for Child Wellbeing and Protection in Sport provide a framework to help all sports organisations, clubs and groups work towards creating a positive, safer environment for children and young people.
There are eight Standards in total, each with accompanying minimum criteria to meet. These set a benchmark for good practice in helping to ensure children and young people’s rights are realised in an enjoyable and safe space.
The Child Wellbeing and Protection in Sport Tool
“Along with other SGBs we meet regularly with the Child Wellbeing & Protection in Sport Unit of Children 1st to discuss safeguarding and when we first learned about the tool we were keen to be involved. It gave us the opportunity to test the self assessment tool and provide feedback through the development process.
As the tool has developed, it has become more user friendly, which is important. It can be pre-populated with criteria that we already have as minimum standards within Scottish Rugby, which avoids duplication. A number of our clubs tested the tool and provided helpful and constructive feedback.
When we introduce the tool to our clubs, we believe it will be a positive addition to the safeguarding measures and support we already have in place. Clubs will be able to measure their progress against the Standards for Wellbeing & Protection in Sport.”
How well are you keeping children safe in your sport?
Use this Child Wellbeing and Protection in Sport tool, developed by sportscotland and Children 1st, to assess your progress and get advice and support about what more your sports club, organisation or body can do to create a safer environment for children and young people in sport.
How the Child Wellbeing and Protection in Sport Tool works
The free self-assessment and action planning tool provides a step-by-step guide to help your sports organisation meet best safeguarding and child protection practices. The tool:
- Takes you through a set of simple questions
- Provides an instant overview of how well your sports organisation is meeting the Standards for Child Wellbeing and Protection in Sport.
- Helps you Identify areas for development based on your responses
- Links you to advice and resources to help improve policies and practice
- Enables you to create your own action plan with assigned tasks
- Can be revisited as many times as you like to review and update your progress
If you have concerns about a child or an adult’s behaviour in sport, or for further information, contact us:
- by calling 0141 419 1156
- by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- by filling in the form below